The Old Stone House was originally built in 1822 by John Brown. It was a stagecoach stop and tavern to accommodate travelers along the newly-constructed Pittsburgh to Erie Pike. The Stone House served as a local post office and was used as a muster point during the Civil War.
With growth of the railroad in the 1870's the Stone House was no longer needed as a stagecoach stop and was rented to a family. The last occupants abandoned the property in 1918, after which the house started to crumble into ruins.
In 1963 the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy undertook the task of restoring the historic building. The house was furnished with artifacts donated by local citizens. The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy turned over the restored structure to the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) which operated the site as a museum for 20 years. In 1999 Slippery Rock University took over ownership of the site after outrage from local citizens at the proposed sale of the house do to decline in tourism the 1980's.
Today the Old Stone House museum is managed by faculty and students from the university’s History department. The stones and many of the artifacts throughout the house are artifacts from the remains of the house so the authenticity of this place is amazing. It is like stepping back in time for a brief moment. If you go be sure to check out the hair blossoms. Check out their site for more information.